If you're thinking about studying in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you will have to apply for a residence visa unless:

  • You come from a country that belongs to the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland;
  • You possess a residence permit for study issued by another Member State of the European Union and are going to undergo part of the study program in a Dutch higher education programme or at a Dutch university for a maximum of 360 days (inbound mobility). In which case, please contact our International Officer via page Contact.

If the abovementioned points do not apply, SOMT University of Physiotherapy can apply for a visa for you. 


In order for us to apply for a visa, you must fulfill the following conditions:

  • You are (currently) registered with an educational institution that is recognised as a sponsor.
  • You are registered for a full time daytime course.
  • You have sufficient money to support yourself for at least one year. This equates to the standard rate per month for external Higher Vocational Education and university students according to the Study Financing Act, excluding tuition or college money. See ‘Table of Standard amounts’ on www.ind.nl or ask your educational institution.
  • You have a valid passport.
  • You have not been found guilty of a criminal offence and have not been involved in war crimes, terrorism or crimes against humanity.
  • You are insured for healthcare costs in the Netherlands.
  • You must be examined for TB by the Municipal Health Service in the Netherlands. This test must be carried out within 3 months of the residence permit being issued. If necessary, you must be treated for TB. Do you have the nationality of one of the countries listed in the ‘Appendix Exemption from the obligation to undergo a tuberculosis (TB) test’? Then the TB test is not required. The 'Appendix Exemption from the obligation to undergo a tuberculosis (TB) test' can be found at www.ind.nl.

In order to retain your visa, your educational progress must be adequate. As a student, you must obtain at least half of the required number of credits of an academic year. SOMT University of Physiotherapy will check the ECTS obtained at the end of every study year. If your progress is inadequate, the IND can withdraw your residence permit.

For more information on the process, please check the Studying in the Netherlands document from the Offficial Immigration and Naturalization Services.